Friday, March 30, 2012

What Becomes of an Ol’ Heart


Valentine’s Day has come and gone, yet I still have discount Valentine’s day candy remaining in my house.  At some point it becomes passé to serve guests and friends candy from a holiday well over a month ago.  Considering, that time may be now, and not wanting to throw away the candy, I decided to bake with them.  A ol’ heart should never be thrown away; it should be wrapped in warm delicious chocolaty loving.


The only candy I had enough of to make something worthwhile was Reese’s peanut butter cups and hearts.  I had the idea of baking the cups and hearts whole into brownies.  Therefore, instead of little broken hearted pieces scattered throughout the brownies, there would be whole, strong, and intense hearts (and cups) ready to share their peanut butter flavor.  The hearts (and cups) would standout and up for themselves; they would not be like any other old and left over candy from a “holiday.”


Seeing as how my heart was kind of heavy today, I thought it was the perfect time to bake these Reese’s Peanut Butter Brownies to share with those around me.  I used my favorite one bowl brownie recipe from Bakers’ Chocolate.


I put down half of the brownie batter.  I then pressed the cups and hearts into the batter.


Lastly, I spread the other half of the batter over the brownies, completely covering the cups and hearts.


These brownies are rich, dense, and fudge-y.  The slightly salty peanut butter centers were the perfect compliment to the sweet brownie.  These brownies are a reminder that just because something is slightly pass its prime, it should not be discarded or forgotten; it can be incorporated into new and wonderful things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment