Monday, March 26, 2012

Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake


I bought a small bag of beautiful Meyer lemons from the grocery store a few weeks ago.  I bought them because I saw them and knew I wanted to make a lemon pound cake type loaf with them.  I did not know when I would have the time to make the loaf, but Meyer lemons that plentiful are not easy to come by.


Well, as usual over the past few months, life got away from me and I did not get around to using them.  Then I was home, taking care of last minute details for a party I was planning for my friend the Bride, when I touched the bag of Meyer lemons and realized that the fruit was starting to get a tad but soft.  Considering the arm and a leg I paid for those lemons, I knew I had to use them immediately.


Somehow, I immediately, that day, within 2 hours, found time to make this Meyer lemon bundt cake.  This cake was pretty easy to whip up.  My normal lemon pound cake type recipe is made with buttermilk.  That recipe produces a tangy cake that is super moist, delicious, and dense.  This recipe produces a cake that is not as moist, but is a lot lighter.  I had to sub-out some of the original ingredients (such as using greek yogurt instead of sour cream), which could account for the less moist cake.  It was not dry by any means, but just not as moist.  It was still delicious!


Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake
Adapted from Recipe Girl

Ingredients:
2 2/3 cups Cake Flour
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
7 Meyer Lemons Zest (or less, but at least 3)
2 cups Sugar
6 Large Eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup Fat-free Greek Yogurt, at room temperature
2 TBS rum
1 1/2 TBS Meyer lemon juice
Pinch of salt
9 TBS Butter (1 stick + 1 tablespoon), melted and cooled

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour spray 1 bundt pan.
2. Mix together flour and baking powder and set aside.
3. Place sugar and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl, and whisk together until mixture is a bit clumpy. Add the eggs and beat with a whisk until the mixture is a light lemon color and thickened a bit. Whisk in greek yogurt, salt, rum, and lemon juice, each seperately.
4. Gently whisk in the flour in three parts, then whisk in the butter in two parts. The batter will be thick.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 55 to 70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes before turn the cake out of its pan onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
7. If glazing the cake, mix together enough powdered sugar with Meyer lemon juice to achieve your desired consistency. Pour over the cake. Let the glaze harden before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment