Friday, October 21, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake


This is another post dedicated to my dear friend Yae and her upcoming wedding.  To get ready for her bridal dance Yae held a henna party at her house.  The henna party is a time for Yae’s close girl friends to come over; celebrate the upcoming event(s); and most importantly keep Yae feed and entertained while she sits there for hours upon hours getting her henna drawn, letting the design set & stain, and then removing it.  (It is also an opportunity for friends to get henna designs drawn on them as well.)


The theme of the henna party was one near and dear to Yae’s heart—Comfort Foods.  A normal wedding process can be super stressful, but if you couple the normal American wedding events with the traditional Sudanese wedding events, you have four times the number of events and four times the amount of drama, stress, and craziness!  What Yae needed in her life so close to the wedding was a little comfort.


The get-together was potluck style, with everyone bring their favorite comfort food.  What is my favorite comfort food?  This time of year, I go for pumpkin and warm spices.  Nothing makes me feel more wrapped in autumn goodness than a dish containing those ingredients.

I saw the below recipe on one of my favorite baking blogs, I am Baker.  I was immediately captivated by the picture of the dripping creamy pumpkin glaze.  When I first saw the recipe, I knew it would be a winner to bake and take to the henna party.  It was comfort food at its best and with a party full of willing eaters, I would not (have to) eat the entire cake myself.


Update: I try to write post in advance, when I have the time.  Well, this time it has come to bite me in the behind.  The day I was supposed to make this cake, I checked the RVSP list and someone else had RSVPed that they were bringing pumpkin cake.  The party was going to be fairly small and having two of the same desserts did not feel right to me.  Moreover, I did not want the other person to feel like I was trying to steal her pumpkin cake thunder, so I scratched the idea of taking the cake to the party.


Yet, I still wanted this cake!  So, I (admit selfishly) made the cake, knowing it would not be going to the party and then took it to my office to share with my co-workers.  I waited patiently for someone else to cut the first slice, then and only then would I allow myself to take a slice home, for photos of course. 


I was told by a certain office mate that this cake “soothed the savage beast!”  It had been a particularly maddening day at work and this cake brought a smile back to my co-worker’s face.  That is more than a complement, considering the stressful week we have had; that is a glowing shinning endorsement, making this recipe a keeper!

Update, Update:  The lady who RSVPed that she was bringing pumpkin cake, did not bring the pumpkin cake; she did not even show up.  **I shake my angry fist at her.**

Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake w/ Creamy Pumpkin Glaze
Adapted from a guest post by Dine & Dish at I Am Baker

Cake Ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup homemade or canned pumpkin puree
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour (add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour if your homemade pumpkin puree is more liquid-y than the canned variety)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp nutmeg, or more to taste
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Cake Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 12-cup Bundt pan with a floured/oil spray (or traditional butter and flour method).

2. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

3. Add eggs one at a time and mix until well incorporated.

4. Continue mixing adding the pumpkin, sour cream, and vanilla until well blended.

5. In a separate bowl mix together remaining (dry) ingredients and add to liquid batter one cup at a time, blending until well incorporated.

6. Pour cake batter into pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until a tester (knife, toothpick, etc.) inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, no batter.

Glaze Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
approx. 1/4 cup homemade or canned pumpkin (The amount will vary. Use a little at a time until you get the glaze to a nice thick pourable consistency.
Cinnamon and Allspice to taste

Glaze Method:
1. Whisk together powdered sugar and pumpkin puree until no lumps appear.

2. Add spices.

3. Once glaze is smooth, slowly pour over the top of the cake. Use as much glaze as you prefer.

4. Allow cake to set for a while to allow glaze to form a light shell.


Candied Pecans- I planned to make these, but did not. I still thought it would be nice to give you the recipe.
Adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

Ingredients:
2 cups pecans, toasted
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 TBS butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
1. In a medium skillet over medium heat melt butter, than add brown sugar and pecans.

2. Stir until all the pecans are coated.

3. Continue stirring as the mixture bubbles, reduces, and browns slightly.

4. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Be careful, the mixer will bubble up and emit steam.

5. Pour out coated nuts in a single layer on to a parchment lined cookie sheet and allow to cool completely.

6. Break apart any large pieces with your hands.

7. Use as a toping on anything you like- cake, ice cream, even salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment