I have really been wanting to make some caramel corn again. Last time I had too much popcorn and there was not a consistent and even coating of caramel on the popcorn. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, great even, but not perfect.
Unfortunately, with my schedule this week, I have not had the time. Caramel corn, though easy to make, requires me to babysit the oven for an hour. I did not have that kind of time. So, I thought up this cinnamon caramel corn inspired treat instead.
Think rice krispies treats, but with popcorn instead of cereal. The marshmallows are cinnamon bun flavored and I added in some toasted pecans for crunch.
These are sticky and sweet. They did not completely hit the spot for caramel corn. Yet, in a week were I have not had the time to bake anything, these at least satisfied my baking anemia. Seven days without baking makes one weak! (Pun intended)
Cinnamon Bun (flavored) Popcorn Marshmallow Treats
1/2 cup un-popped popcorn kernels, pop plain with no butter or salt1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
Cinnamon to taste
Healthy dose of salt
8oz bag Jet Puff Cinnamon Bun Marshmallows
2-4oz plain marshmallows (to your taste)
1 cup chopped toasted pecans
1. Pop popcorn, remove all un-popped kernels, and set aside in large bowl.
2. Melt stick of butter. Once melted stir in sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
3. Let cook together for a few minutes before stirring in all marshmallows.
4. Let all marshmallows melt before removing the mixture from the heat.
5. Pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn. Throw in pecans.
6. Stir until all pieces are evenly coated. Dump the popcorn mixture into a prepared pan. I used an 8x8in for thicker bars, but 9x13in would be okay as well. (greased, parchment, or otherwise).
7. Let cool completely before removing and cutting.