Friday, April 27, 2012

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies



For some reason, I have been wanting to make peanut butter sandwich cookies for a long time.  One week I was on a sandwich cookie kick and that was all I could think about.  But for some odd reason, which I cannot explain, no sandwich cookies were made that week.  If you know me, you know that sometime I prefer instant gratification.  I want to make a plan, and execute it immediately.  I am a planner, but I need to be actively working on a plan and setting things in motion to make me feel like I am planning.  But somehow, these cookies mysteriously fell by the wayside.




During my random blog searching, I spotted these cookies.  It was Thursday and by the end of reading the blog post, and sharing it with a friend, I was already planning to make these cookies Saturday.




And true to my plan I did make these cookies Saturday.  I RAN my first 5k on Saturday!  In a time of 37:38 (11:47 min/mile).  No, I am not fast, but I am consistent and steady and ran the whole time, even up hill.  Yup, I am proud of myself.  After getting home, I still had these cookies on the brain and immediately got to work.




The recipe I used had the cute suggestion of making these look like Nutter Butter Cookies, in the peanut shape.  After doing 2-pan batches (4 pans total) this way, I tired of this method and was not achieving the results I wanted, so I did the rest as a circle.  So really these cookies are a cross between homemade Nutter Butters and Girl Scout Do-si-dos cookies.




These cookies are good.  Plain and simple.  The cookie is not too sweet (I cut down on the sugar from the original recipe), and the frosting/filling adds a nice sweet and extra peanut buttery touch.  I enjoyed the cookie, with filling, and I am not a filling girl.  And of course for quality control purposes I had to try a peanut shaped and circular shaped cookie.  No worries, they both taste just as great ;-)




Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Adapted from Cookies and Cups

Ingredients

Cookies:
1 cup Butter, room temperature
1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
3/4 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 1/2 cups Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
Extra Sugar for rolling

Filling:
1/2 cup Butter, room temperature
1/2 cup Vegetable shortening (makes the filling firmer and more like store bought)
1 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
4 cups Powdered Sugar
2-3 TBS Heavy Cream

Method

1. In a large bowl beat butter, peanut butter, and sugars until light and fluffy.

2. Add eggs and vanilla continuing to mix until combined

3. Add in flour, baking soda and baking powder. Mix until combined.

4. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.

5. Preheat oven to 375F.

6. Using a 1 TBS cookies scope, scope out cookie dough.  Roll cookie sugar.

7. Place on cookie sheet with room to spread.  Use the tines of a fork to make crisscross pattern.

8. Bake for 8 minutes until edges are lightly golden.

9. Cool before filling.

10. For the filling: In a large bowl beat butter, shortening, and peanut butter together until smooth.

11. Add in powdered sugar and turn mixer speed up to medium and beat until filling is smooth.

12. Add heavy cream one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.

13. Line up similar sized cookies together.  Pipe, spoon, or spread filling on one side of the cookie pair.

14.  Place matching cooking on top and press lightly to sandwich in filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment