Thursday, June 14, 2012

There’s a Whole lot of Pink Going On



As a child, my mother would dress me, very frequently, in purple.  Not the deep, rich royal purple or the intense, alluring aubergine purple, but the frilly, light, 80’s inspired purple.  I look back on those days and cringe.  I was scarred for life, feeling like purple was a required piece of clothing as opposed to a color.  To make matters even more girly, my mother had my room decorated all in pink—two twin pink heart headboard beads, with pink blankets, pink pillows, pink ruffles, and even freaking pink frilly shames…. Sorry, just thinking about it brings up too much emotion.




I was never a girly-girl… Never!  My mother’s want of a prim, proper, and graceful daughter was crushed by a clumsy, pink/purple abhorring, tomboy.  Once I reached the age where I could dress and select my clothes myself, I completely turned away from all the purple and pink.  Did I mention I felt scarred for life?  Just now, as an adult, well over 20 years later, I can finally wear pink or purple (not together, that is just too much) without recalling bad childhood memories.  I am still not a girly-girl, but you do not have to be one to wear pink or purple.  




Every once and a while, I mention to my mother that if she did not push me so hard into pink and purple, I may have come around to those colors a lot earlier in life.  (Truth be told, as a kid I had no hair and my mom got tired of people thinking I was a little boy.  The girl colors, and glued on hair bows helped to set those people straight.  Thanks, mom!)








My co-worker asked me to make these cookies for her granddaughter’s 1st Birthday party.  To go with the princess theme, mom and grandma bought two pink tutus, pink Chuck Taylors, and pink onesies.  Mom also made a pink princess hat, that involved pink fur around the brim.  Yes, little granddaughter was going to be all girly-ed out for her first birthday party.








After seeing the above evolve over several weeks and making the cookies, I told grandma that her granddaughter will either grow-up to be really prissy and girl, or hate the color pink… trust me I speak from experience.  For the sake of mom’s and grandma’s sanity, I hope it is the former (the girly option).  Nevertheless, if she does hate pink, they should be able to take solace in the fact that one day she may come around; look at me, I did, and I am semi-normal :-D








To make these cookies, I used my favorite decorated sugar cookie recipe, royal icing, edible pearls, and luster dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment