Friday, September 30, 2011

Cinnamon Chip Scones


A certain Seattle originating major coffee giant makes a Cinnamon Chip Scone.  I have never tasted it.  Nevertheless, a certain Mr. Boss Man has and he complained that over the years the frosting layer covering the scones has decreased.  The Seattle originating chain used to cover the top completely in glaze and now it is a cute little delicate crisscross pattern.


I decided that it would be nice and try to recreate the original for Mr. Boss Man.  I found a recipe on-line claiming to be similar to the Seattle originating chain’s scone.  Typically, I find scones to be dense and dry.  To combat such, I modified the recipe adding sour cream instead of milk for moisture.


The scone were a little on the soft side upon coming out of the mixing bowl, so I was easily able to shape them by hand before cutting them into eight triangles.  They cooked relatively well, with a tad too much spreading.  This is still a recipe adaption in progress.  *After the fact (like just now), I realized that my reading or memory skills are lacking and I used an entire cup of sour cream--Reading Is Fundamental.*


The scones did receive positive feedback from my office.  Mr. Boss Man confiscated an extra scone to ensure he would have a breakfast treat for the next day.  I believe Mr. Boss Man called it divine or delectable, either way, a winner.


I did not taste actually taste them myself, as the recipe only produced eight scones and I did not want to taste one and throw off the even number, but I would recommend these as a nice breakfast treat.  Also, you could trade out some of the liquid for an equal part of pumpkin puree and have a Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Scone.  I will be playing around with that combination soon!


Cinnamon Chip Scone
(Adapted from here)

Ingredients:
2 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
Pinch of Allspice (to taste)
2 TBS Brown Sugar
1 stick Butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 cup Cinnamon Chips
1/2-3/4 cups Sour Cream*
1-2 tsp Vanilla
1 egg + a little water for Egg Wash
Glaze: Powder Sugar + a little water (to desired consistency) + whatever amount of spices you desire

Method:
1. Mix together dry ingredients (first five above).
2. Rub the butter into the flour mixture, by hand, machine, or otherwise, until it resembles a course cornmeal.
3. Toss in cinnamon chips.
4. Add vanilla and just enough sour cream until dough comes together.
5. Roll out or shape by hand into a square, approximately 1 – 1 ½ inches thick.
6. Cut into triangles by cutting the square into 4 smaller squares, then cutting each smaller square diagonally.
7. Place scones on a parchment lined cookie sheet and brush just the tops of the scones with the egg wash.
8. Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 20-25 minutes. The scones should be golden brown.
9. Cool and enjoy/share!

No comments:

Post a Comment