Friday, November 02, 2012

No Problem (You’re Welcome) Cookies




A few months ago, the morning radio show I listen to had a discussion on how the host responds to “thank you.”  He stated that saying “no problem” seems rude and like you are doing that person a favor.   “You’re welcome” is the more appropriate route to go.  I never thought it that way.  But, it got me to thinking, if he sees it that way maybe other people see it that way as well?  What do I say when someone says “thank you?”  Evaluation and analysis must now occur.

It depends on the situation.  I tend to say “you’re welcome” to people I do not know very well or when I am at a loss for words.  It seems more formal to me.  I tend to say “no problem” or “no problem at all” when I responded to people I know better or in less formal situations.  Am I conveying that my baked goods are doing them a personal favor and that they had better get down on their knees and bow at my awesome baking magnificence?  Well maybe, in my head, a little queen worship is desired.  Of course not; it was literally no problem.  I wasn’t asked to make something and I fulfilled a request.  I decided to go into my kitchen and bake something and then voluntarily gave it out to whoever wanted it.  No personal favors here.






I like saying “no problem” because it is less formal and really when you talk about baked goods, it is usually never a problem for me to whip something up.  I love to do it.  So now, when I get “thank you,” I seem to follow it with “No problem.  I loved doing it.”

In true appreciation fashion, I was gifted a bag of Ghirardelli Chocolate chips and a gift cards to my favorite grocery store from my office.  It was a please bake use more stuff thank you gift in appreciation of all the stuff I bake and bring in.  In response to their thoughtful gesture, I decided to make them a treat with the chocolate chips-- a thank you for the thank you gift cookies, which seemed redundant and could start a repeated cycle of thank you for the thank you for the thank you…, or No Problem Cookies.






These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are pretty simple but super tasty.  I mean you can never go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate.  They are firmer on the edges and chewy in the center.  The oats provide a nice toothsome quality to the cookie and textural contrast from the firm chips and soft cookie.  These were a very welcomed way to say “No Problem; I loved doing it.”

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg, large, room temperature
2 1/2 cups rolled oats, old fashion is best
1 bag (12 oz) chocolate chips

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

3. Cream together the butter, peanut butter, sugars and vanilla extract. Add eggs and beat to combine. Add the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in the oats, and then the chocolate chips.

4. Use a 3 tablespoons cookie scope, drop dough onto prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Lightly press down on each cookie to flatten, slightly.  Bake for 12-14 minutes,  until the cookies are lightly golden.

5. Cool completely and enjoy with a glass of milk, if that’s your pleasure.

Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment