Friday, October 26, 2012

Hey, there is a Chocolate Chips Cookie in my Cookie!




File this under the why-didn’t-I-think-of-it-first tab!  While doing my daily occasional food blog reading, I was over a Picky Palate and saw that she baked a chocolate chip cookie… inside of an Oreo!  Freaking genius!  I mean you have the best store bought cookie, filled with the perfect and classic homemade cookie.  It was like a match made in cookie heaven.

I have baked several things into chocolate chip cookies before, including Oreos, but never the opposite way around.  It seemed so obvious and it made so much sense.  I had a Homer Simpson moment, smacking my forehead and saying “D’oh.”  Why did I never think of this?  I cannot believe this never entered my pastry realm of imagination.






I did not allow my lack of being a trail blazer in the Oreo cookie stuffing arena deter me from trying this treat.  I actually rolled up my sleeves pretty much immediately and got to baking.  These cookies are awesome.  I thought they might be too sweet, but they were not.  The Oreo cookie retained its crunch and the chocolate chip cookie filling was chewy and gooey.  It can be enjoyed warm, topped, and out the oven or later at room temperature.

The best part of the cookie, visually, was the Oreo cream melting slightly over the chocolate chip cookie.  When I make these again, I will try them with double stuffed Oreos to get more of the ooze factor.






After taking these to work, I was talking with a co-worker about other cookies that could be filled.  One idea that came up in that discussion was filling Nutter Butter cookies with chocolate chip cookies.  (Other ideas may be featured here later.)  I used the store brand version of Nutter Butter cookies because it was circle in shape and I thought it would be easier than trying to get the chocolate chip cookie to bake in a peanut shape.






The Chocolate Chip Cookie stuffed Nutter Butter cookies came out similar to the Oreos.  The only difference is that the Oreo cream helped seal the new stuffed cookies together, but the Nutter Butter cream did not seal the cookie.  The Nutter Butter cookie came apart much easier than the Oreo.  My favorite part of the Nutter Butter cookie was the bottom cookie that baked in the oven under the chocolate chip cookie.  Its time in the oven browned the cookie and brought out an even more intense flavor.  Super, super good!

Though I did not think of it first, I think I did find a way to make it my own.

Chocolate Chip Cookie stuffed Oreos
Adapted from Picky Palate

Ingredients:
1 stick (8 TBS) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg, large
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 bag mini chocolate chips
1 package Oreo Cookies

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheets with a parchment paper.

2. Cream butter and sugars together.  Add egg and vanilla, mixing until well combined.

3. Add flour, baking soda and salt to wet ingredients mixing to combine.  Then add chocolate chips, mixing until just combined.

4. Separate Oreo cookies and place non-cream sided cookie onto prepared baking sheets.

5. Place 1 tablespoon of chocolate chip cookie dough onto each Oreo Cookie.  (Just one level, not over filled table spoon of dough!!!)

6. Bake for 8-9 minutes until baked through.

7. Gently press the cream side of an Oreo cookie over the warm baked chocolate chip cookie and let cool for another 10 minutes before enjoying warm or let it cool completely then enjoy.

** By the way, after making 30-36 stuffed cookies, I still had plenty of cookie dough left.  Using the same table spoon scope, I baked off another dozen and a half cookies or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment